65 N. Court St.
Athens, OH 45701
Tuesday - Saturday
About The Museum
The Athens County Historical Society & Museum works to
collect, protect, exhibit, and educate the public about the material
culture of Athens County. ACHS&M promotes the study,
interpretation, and understanding of the history of Athens County and its people, and to provide an organizational structure for affiliations by groups with similar interests.
We have over 40,000 items in our collection.
The Museum also has a library of local genealogy and histories. There is
truly a wealth of knowledge here - and many friendly volunteers
waiting to help. Please stop by.
- Mounts hands-on, interactive exhibits that tell the
stories of Athens County throughout the year
- Collects, protects, exhibits, educates the public
about the material culture of Athens County
- Works with county schools to provide hands-on
programming that meets ODE state curriculum standards
- Provides special programs and tours
for various groups, both young and older, at the museum
- Publishes histories, genealogical research
aids and other books of local and regional historical interest
- Conducts family history workshops and provides genealogical research assistance
- Provides assistance with historical projects and research.
- Works closely with
the Ohio Historic Preservation Office, the
City of Athens and other organizations on historical projects.